In a world of thoughts and deeds, I find the couch the ideal venue of discovery!

.

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Abortion

Here in the Australian State of Victoria where I live, there is currently a bit of a hullabaloo going on over a simple legislative change involving removing the "crime" of abortion from the Crimes Act. It is a simple change because abortion is not prosecuted any more, as most rational & logical people realise, it is a personal health matter & nothing to do with government or crime against society.

On the news.com.au site, a reader by the name of "Lucy" posted the following opinion, which I think says it all quite succinctly.

"Any decision regarding a woman's body and/or her reproductive system should be made between her and her doctor and the two of them can work through their respective morals, beliefs and circumstances with the situation. None of us have the right to tell any other person what to do with their body. If you don't like the idea of abortion, don't have one. Let others make the decision for themselves."

Well said Lucy and let us hope the upper house members concur & pass the bill.

1 comment:

Dave ~ said...

He's back! Hullabaloo is such an ace word. I agree Jase. I also read that article and gave credit where credit is due. When I first saw the anti-abortion ads on TV I got mighty steamed. Then I calmed down and said to myself, no, everyone is entitled to put their case forward - that one just happens to be one I don't believe. I just hope (but not pray) that our legislators have enough of a grasp on the feelings of the population (not just the loony fringe) to pass this bill. You never know - democracy CAN work sometimes...