In a world of thoughts and deeds, I find the couch the ideal venue of discovery!

.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Day 7 Venice Friday May 30 2008

Another full day today, and it is hard to think of what to write about as my mind is still full of the impressions of the day (I am writing this a day later on the road to Rome, and I need to say one thing that is obvious about Italy is that they dont believe in maintaining their roads much compared to Germany, Austria or even the Czech Republic, typing this blog on a small keyboard and over the bumps and potholes is certainly a challenge).

Venice during the day was HOT and crowded but still fantastic. I am really glad I took the optional extra and went for a gondola ride through the city, it gives you such a different perspective and impression of the city.

We also had a guided tour through the main square and the St Marks basilica although that was incredible to see the glass frescos and interior, really felt like a herded cow with the crush of tourists and apparently this is not even the high season yet!

Afterwards we visited the glass blowing factory which was fairly interesting as one of the master craftsman actually made a beautiful vase in front of our eyes. We then browsed around the showroom and I reckon I found the most expensive piece at about 16,000 euro! A few people bought stuff and I was tempted to buy a couple of beautiful wine glasses but not really into too much fancy stuff so I saved my 150 euro!

Far out these roads are crap!

Anyway, a couple from Melbourne (Damien and Belinda – who is of italian heritage) found a nice pizza restaurant down one of the smaller alleyways of Venice that didnt charge a service fee or cover charge just to sit down and eat and for 30 euro in total had a great feed of three pizzas including a rather unique one chips on top (yes got photos).

The optional excursion for the afternoon was to the fishing island of Burano and we also explored some of lagoon that forms the area around Venice. Saw the house that Cassanova lived in for a while and then we explored the village of Burano.

I think this was my favourite part of the day here in Venice, with uniquely painted houses and just a great atmosphere. We wandered off the main tourist path into some side streets and I got some great photographs.

Also during the boat trip we went past the Arsenal of Venice where in its hey day of the venetian empire they were building one naval boat per day and indeed it is where we actually get the word arsenal from.

After a full day it was back to the hotel and a buffet dinner there before I called it an early night and hit the sack around 9.30pm as I knew tomorrow we had a big day of driving (on crap roads!)

No comments: