In a world of thoughts and deeds, I find the couch the ideal venue of discovery!

.

Monday, June 09, 2008

Day 8 Venice to Rome Saturday May 31 2008

Another early wake up call and a day travelling through the italian countryside on the coach to reach our next destination of Rome or Roma in italian (one thing I did learn since coming here is all the place names I am familiar with are actually called something else, which is I suppose makes sense, but why not call it the proper name the locals use instead of anglaising it?).

Our hotel seemed to be a fairly nice place located not far out of the city, however I was hit by murphys law again with the hotel wifi being out of order due to them changing internet providers so no chance to post any of the diary entries Ive made (well this led to laziness on my part and not keeping them from this point on!)

Actually since we were at a two day stop I did some of the necessary washing of socks and jocks etc and with my handy dandy travel kit I had a washing line I could hang across the bathroom and drape all the washing on.

This evening Id joined up the optional night tour of Rome and dinner. First impressions of the city are watch out for the scooters! Also despite all the historical buildings and monuments all around it is clear Italians take no pride in their city as rubbish is everywhere and so is graffitti, even more so than Bucharest in Romania!

After a bit of a drive around the city, which was hard to know which way to turn and where to point the camera to take photographs, we hopped off the bus for a quick walking tour with our guide. Straight away I thought I had been pick-pocketed as my mobile phone was missing from my pocket. (more on that later).

The next impression of Rome is just the amount of people and also dodgy street vendors. When we stopped at the Trevi fountain a guy with roses came up to a group of us (Freeman, Alison, Barbara and I and obviously assumed we were two couples and gave each of the ladies a rose. We all knew he would ask for money, but he wouldnt take them back and clearly said the words free free for beautiful ladies. Anyway, as quick as a flash he was onto Freeman and I demanding money for the roses.

When we refused, he then snatched back the roses and continued on hassling couples near the fountain. Rome was also the place I have felt the most uncomfortable and aware of my personal safety and of people coming to close etc.

Having said that, whilst strolling along one of the streets I was looking up at a military helicopter flying particular low when I stood on someone who had stopped in front of me and bent down in order to take a photo of his wife.

From his exclamation it was clear he was an american ... so straight away after a scusi mi (and a sorry) I didnt feel so bad, if you are going to step on someone then I suppose an ignorant american tourist is one of them rather than a local!

We got back on the bus to be driven to where we were having dinner, and thankfully my phone was on the seat where I had been sitting previous to getting off for the walk, slipped out of my pocket in my shorts (usually i have it in my velcro pockets), so crisis over!

Dinner was great at a little restaurant where we had about five courses. For most people this was too much, but the amounts and the timings of the dishes coming out meant I could have kept eating for a few more courses. The only thing lacking was a nice strong coffee after the meal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

...and your phone. What's the deal? Deano.