In a world of thoughts and deeds, I find the couch the ideal venue of discovery!

.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Day two – Brussels to Wurzburg Germany Sunday 25 May 2008

Ok, this morning I woke with a slight hangover which was kind of cured by a few panadol tablets and a decent breakfast and coffee. It is still raining today, but apparently will clear up. We drove out of Brussels and through countryside crossing into a narrow bit of the Netherlands before entering Germany. So that makes four countries in just over a day and a bit.

The scenary here is so green, hilly and lots of trees. Contrast to how it is back home at the moment.

Another observation I must make is about the traffic. The whole speed kills thing in australia is a total sham. Here I see cars speeding past but it is safe because the drivers observe a simple rule – they drive with courtesy and attention. You pass someone then you pull into the lane as soon as possible. None of this hanging around in the right lane. If you are driving slower you keep to the inside lane (here it is the right most lane) so the traffic flows really well. anyway, just my little rant.

Fast forward a few hours and that last paragraph seems ironic given that we got stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway for a while due to an accident until Luigi turned off and took us an alternative way to our Rhine river cruise embarkation point - we went via Bonn.

The river cruise was brilliant - managed to nab a great spot at the stern with the same crew who I sat with on the ferry from Dover. We drank a few beers (as is necessary being kiwis and aussie) and watched the amazing scenery go by. I took a few photos .... err more than a few. Weather turned out to be fantastic and sunny and not too hot ... think Im a bit sunburnt though ooops.

After the cruise was more driving on the autobahn, although not all that much speed for us as our coach is limited to 100 km/h or so. Interesting factoid - trucks are not allowed to drive on the roads on Sunday!

Hmm and also had my first experience of paying to get into toilets in europe = complete with turnstiles and 50 euro cent price.

Tonight was dinner in the hotel as a group here in Wurzburg Germany (look on your maps kids) and getting to know a few more on the tour, we have a good mix but I have fallen in with the kiwis and some of the younger ones seemed determined to try and lead me astray given that last night I established my drinking credentials!

Not as nice a hotel but it is functional and clean and good enough for a place to sleep - oh and has wireless internet access so I can post some blog entries.

yes yes still havent done photographs I know .... today when i wake up in about 5 hours, we´ll be off to Prague in Czech Rep.

3 comments:

Dave ~ said...

Hmmmm, courtesy on the roads. I'd like to see that too Jase....but until they bring in summary executions for being rude in traffic I don't see it happening here any time soon. Although I'm not sure about no trucks on a Sunday. Is that because of God? Lo, and on the sabbath though shalt not driveth thy Kenworth, so sayeth the Lord, ahhAAhhhhmeeeeennnn.

Anonymous said...

You better have lived up to your drinking rep Jase.
I didn't spend all those weekends breaking you for nothing!

Dave ~ said...

$10 says you brought out the plumbing story. Any takers? Anyone, anyone?